The American Institute of Architects, Inland California (AIAIC) is pleased to provide architecture student scholarships to support the education of future architects from the San Bernardino and Riverside area! Students attending architecture school at California Baptist University, Cal Poly Pomona, and San Bernardino Community College are eligible to apply for these scholarships that support both the students and the schools in our region. Scholarship amounts are $1000 each, unless otherwise noted, and students may apply each cycle, summer and winter, but not for multiple scholarships within the same cycle. Women and students from underrepresented backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. The AIAIC scholarships are competitive and reserves the right to not award scholarships at its sole discretion.
1. G. Stanley Wilson Memorial Scholarship in Architecture Excellence, Application Deadline: June 1.
- (1897-1958) G. Stanley Wilson was born in Bournemouth, England in 1879, and he came to Riverside with his family in 1895 at age 16. He began his career as a carpenter in 1901 in Riverside. His first major project was Greystones, working for Donald J. McLeod, at 6190 Hawarden Drive. His first important commission was a house for C.O. Evans, in 1908, at 4622 Indian Hill Road. The huge 10-room, two-story house was constructed of redwood, brick, and concrete, with a double-gabled roof and half-timbered walls. In 1909, he opened his own office and began to work on projects for Frank Miller at the Mission Inn. He worked under architect Myron Hunt on the Spanish wing including the dining room and Spanish Art Gallery. In 1915, he built his own home, a five-room bungalow on the southwest corner of Market and Fourth streets. He lived there with his wife, Mildred, and growing family. In 1926, they added a second story and in 1927, the Casa De Anza Hotel with several apartments was added next door.
- Wilson obtained his architect’s license in 1923 from the International Correspondence School. In 1924, he was hired as the architect for the Alvord School rebuilding project. Records indicate that the Alvord School rebuilding project was Wilson’s first solo project. Later, Wilson became Frank Miller’s architect at the Mission Inn and designed and built the Rotunda and the St. Francis Chapel. He died on September 22, 1958. G. Stanley Wilson was interred on September 24, 1958 at Evergreen Memorial Historic Cemetery, Riverside’s first cemetery. He is buried alongside many of the city’s founders.
- Wilson also built many other notable buildings in Riverside that can still be seen. Records indicate that all of his buildings, with the exception of Alvord School, are on the Riverside Historic List.
- Some his works include:
Park Avenue Baptist Church built of adobe in 1925 (3878 Fourteenth)
Simmons Mortuary in 1925 (3610 Eleventh Street)
Aurea Vista Hotel in 1927 (3480 University Avenue)Palm Elementary School in 1927 (6735 Magnolia Avenue)
J.R. Willis Building in 1927 (4336 Market Street)
Riverside City College Quadrangle from 1923 to 1950 (Terracina Avenue)
Grant Elementary School in 1935 (4011 Fourteenth Street)
St. Francis de Sales Catholic Church Convent and School in 1938 (3360 Twelfth Street)
All Saints Episcopal Church in 1948 (3847 Terracina Avenue)
International Wing of the Mission Inn & St. Francis Atrio and Chapel, 1929, 1931
2. Julia Morgan, FAIA Memorial Scholarship for Women in Architecture, Application Deadline: June 1
- (1872 – 1957) Julia Morgan, renowned California architect par excellence, broke many molds in her long and distinguished career. She began that quest as the first female student in the College of Engineering at UC Berkeley, then as the first woman admitted to the prestigious architecture program at l’École nationale supérieure des Beaux-Arts in Paris, and first woman architect licensed in California. Finally, in 2014 American Institute of Architects (AIA) posthumously awarded her the AIA Gold Medal, their highest award.
- Morgan was notable during her lifetime, among other commissions for her extensive work on William Randolph Heart’s Castle, “La Cuesta Encantada” in San Simeon, California. At Hearst Castle and other structures, Morgan pioneered the aesthetic use of structural (steel reinforced) concrete, including the 72 ft tall tower at Mills College. Structural concrete proved to have superior seismic performance during the 1906 San Francisco earthquake.
- Julia Morgan’s affiliation with Riverside came in 1929 with her commission to design the Riverside YWCA in the heart of the Riverside Civic Center. At the direction of the YWCA leadership, Morgan rendered the building in Mediterranean Revival Style, featuring Palladian balconies and window set, ornate wrought iron railings and construction from reinforced concrete. Morgan’s YWCA had meshed perfectly with the Mission Inn and other civic structures in the burgeoning Civic Center, all in variations of the Spanish Colonial Revival. The YMCA opened in 1929 and stands proudly today as the home of the Riverside Art Museum.
- “My buildings will be my legacy… they will speak for me long after I’m gone.” –Julia Morgan
3. Robert Kain, AIA Memorial Scholarship for the Advancement of Healthcare Design at Cal Poly Pomona, Application Deadline: June 1
4. Herman Ruhnau, FAIA Memorial Scholarship in Design Leadership, Application Deadline: December 1
5. Clinton Marr, FAIA Memorial Scholarship in Design Practice, Application Deadline: December 1
- (1925-2016) Born in September of 1925 in Ontario, California, Clinton Marr grew up in Riverside. He joined the Navy Air Corps during World War II. He chose to go into architecture because of its freedom of expression. From 1947 to 1953, he attended University of Southern California School of Architecture on the G.I. Bill. A. Quincy Jones was one of his instructors and Pierre Koenig was a classmate. He was influenced most by the post- and-beam structural framing method, which he later used in the design of his own home (1954). While in school, he worked part-time for Albert C. Martin and Associates in downtown Los Angeles. After graduation he worked for Clare Henry Day in Redlands and Herman Ruhnau in Riverside before opening his own office in Riverside in 1956. Marr designed an impressive number of commercial, industrial, institutional, educational, and residential buildings in Riverside. He helped establish the Inland Chapter of the AIA and was its president in 1964 after being elected to the AIA College of Fellows. His building for the Lily Tulip Corporation (1958) at 800 Iowa Avenue established his reputation, because it was such a large and prestigious commission. Some highlights of his work are the Wesley United Methodist Church (1956) and Provident Federal Savings and Loan Building (1962). Clint lived in Riverside in a house he designed and built for his family in 1954. The post and beam home was set on an acre with an active orange grove and expressed his design philosophy that a building should fit its environment.
- Projects include:
- Residence, 6816 Hawarden Drive, Riverside (1954)
- Wesley United Methodist Church, 5770 Arlington Avenue, Riverside (1956)
- Security First National Bank (University Branch), University Avenue (1957)
- Lily Tulip Cup Corporation Building, 800 Iowa Avenue, Riverside (1958)
- Best Best and Krieger Law Offices, 4200 Orange Street, Riverside (1958)
- Hays Residence, 2750 Rumsey Drive, Riverside (1959)
- Clark Residence, 6720 Oleander Court, Riverside (1959)
- Standard Insurance Company Building (Riverside School District Headquarters),
- 3380 14th Street, Riverside (1961)
- Gethsemane Lutheran Church, 891 W. Blaine Street, Riverside (1961)
- Provident Federal Savings and Loan Building, 3656 Central Avenue, Riverside (1962)
- Grace United Methodist Church, 1085 Linden Street, Riverside (1966)
- Riverside Municipal Airport Building, 6951 Flight Road, Riverside (1968)
- John North High School, 1550 3rd Street, Riverside (1964)
- George Washington Elementary School, 2760 Jane Street, Riverside (1964)
- Riverside Office of Education, 3939 13th Street Riverside
- Kinkle, Rodiger, Graf, Dewberry & Spriggs Law Office, 3393 14th Street (1969)
- Immanuel Lutheran Church, 5455 Alessandro Boulevard, Riverside (1969)
- First Baptist Church, 5500 Alessandro Boulevard, Riverside (1964)
- Johnson Tractor Company Sales and Service, 800 East La Cadena Drive, Riverside (1963)
- Swarner, Fitgerald & Dougherty Law Offices (RCHF), 4275 Lemon Street, Riverside (1966)
- University Christian Church, 1363 Linden Street, Riverside (1964)
- Neblett Residence, 6744 Oleander Court, Riverside (1965)
- Bowker Residence, 1145 Via Vallarta, Riverside (1967)
- Divine Word Seminary, 11316 Cypress Avenue, Riverside (1965)
- Provident Bank, 1690 E. Florida Avenue, Hemet
- Provident Bank, 125 E. Citrus Avenue, Redlands (1965)
- Evergreen Masonic Center, 5801 Chicago Avenue, Riverside (1976)
- Western Municipal Water District, Riverside (1984)
- Hall of Justice (Superior Courts), 4100 Main Street, Riverside (1987)
- Barrie Residence (2004)
- *From city of Riverside Modernism context Statement
6. Henry L.A. Jekel Architecture Memorial Scholarship in Architecture Excellence, Application Deadline: December 1
- (1876-1960) “Henry L. A. Jekel, Famed Architect, Dies at 84” cried the Press Enterprise, May 25, 1960. On his death, Henry Jekel had lived half his life in Riverside, designing over seventy-five houses, and many commercial buildings, including the Neighbors of Woodcraft Home, now the James Complex at California Baptist University, and the famous Benedict’s Castle (Castillo Isabella). He had risen to top of the city’s civic leadership and gained renown in the region for his engineering prowess and his mastery of the Spanish Colonial Revival, Tudor Revival, and related architectural styles of the 1920s and 30s.
- His homes including his own home at 5063 Magnolia Avenue, often suggested Spanish architecture with tile roofs, uneven roof lines, metal grill work, arched windows and patios.
- He designed the Mediterranean Villa built for Harry Hammond on Victoria Hill, and homes built for such Riverside notables as A. N. Sweet (4447 Seventh St.), G. A. Hammer (4563 Prospect Ave.), Fred Stebler (4522 Sixth Street), E. P. Clarke (5125 Ramona Drive), Walter Banks (3105 Pine St.) and many others. His reputation spread throughout Southern California where he gained commissions in Laguna Beach, Palm Springs, San Bernardino, Hemet and elsewhere. Probably his last work was the remodeling of quarters for the Banks Drug Store, in what is now the Mission Inn Foundation Museum, northeast corner of Mission Inn Avenue and Main streets, in 1948.
- Henry Jekel came to Riverside after an illustrious career in eastern skyscraper design and construction, where he helped launch the American skyscraper Revolution. He was also associated with nationally prominent building and construction activities with the Thompson Starrett Co., reputedly the world’s largest construction firm at the turn of the century, and the George A. Fuller Company, the first general contractor in the world. In 1902, as a young man he was architect for the Pennsylvania Building, Philadelphia’s first steel frame building, a seventeen story Beaux-Arts Classical masterpiece. He also designed the Westory Building in Washington, D.C. in 1907, that city’s first steel-frame skyscraper. While in Washington, he worked in the Office of the Supervising Architect, Department of the Treasury, where he lent his skills to assisting with the design of the expansion of the Treasury Building.
- Jekel first visited Riverside in 1909, where he landed a job with architect Seeley L. Pollar, staying with him until hired by noted architect Myron Hunt, who brought him on to engineer the Churrigueresque tower of the First Congregational Church. He and Mrs. Jekel lived Riverside from 1911 through 1913 while the Congregational Church tower was being constructed, and Jekel was drafting the Churrigueresque detail for the craftsman casting the artificial stonework. They returned afterward to Buffalo, New York, Jekel’s birthplace, and came west again after World War I, first designing a group of homes in Pasadena. They became permanent residents of Riverside in 1921.
– Dr. Vincent Moses
7. Community College Special Access Scholarship, Application Deadline: December 1
ROBERT KAIN MEMORIAL AIAIC SCHOLARSHIP
This scholarship provides an annually recurring $1,000 award to a graduating high school student in the chapter region, up to $5000 total over 5 years. The scholarship is renewable for up to four additional years, or a total of $5000, with details for maintaining eligibility below. Applicants must apply for the initial scholarship, and once approved, must provide an update through essay and portfolio each year afterwards to maintain this scholarship support from the chapter. The AIAIC provides up to 5 scholarships per year. The application deadline is June 1 for the following academic year.
AIAIC INTERNATIONAL TRAVEL GRANT PROGRAM
This grant provides architecture programs in the region travel programming support to reinforce the value of global travel and studies for architecture students. The application deadline is June 1 for the following academic year. The AIAIC plans an annual distribution of $5000, pending funding availability.
ALL AIAIC SCHOLARSHIP AND GRANT APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS:
Eligibility: Current students from the three approved regional schools may apply for the Memorial Scholarships. Students residing inside the chapter region at the time of application may apply for the Robert Kain Memorial AIAIC Scholarship (for graduating high school students only). Program directors/chairs from the three approved regional architecture schools may apply for the Travel Grant.
Process: Applicants must submit their respective applications no later than 11:59 pm on or before the date noted above via email to email@example.com. Please note that there are two different dates depending on the scholarship/grant applied for. The Education Committee and Executive Committee make final determinations of scholarships and grants as soon as possible following the submission dates.
Scholarship Submission Materials: Applicants should submit a resume, transcript, one page essay explaining professional goals, and portfolio of creative and technical work via one single pdf file, under 10Mb. (for the Robert Kain Memorial Scholarship, the submission must include a proof of acceptance to an architecture program in the fall, and a letter of recommendation from an instructor or non-academic source, excluding family members.)
Travel Grant Submission Materials: International travel programs for architecture students conducted by California Baptist University and Cal Poly Pomona may apply by submitting the following information: Program administrator(s), Travel program location and duration, Travel budget and role the grant will play in meeting the budget, Complete a followup report on the travel program with examples of how the grant program assisted the program in meeting its goals.
Questions pertaining to the application may be addressed to AIAIC Executive Director Ileen Rathnam, at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 909-792-8464.
THE KAIN SCHOLARSHIP, CALIFORNIA ARCHITECTURE FOUNDATION
Founded by AIA California’s Healthcare Facilities Forum Committee in memory of their colleague, the Robert J. Kain Healthcare Design Education Scholarship, known as The Kain Scholarship, strives to encourage and support architecture students interested in pursuing a career in the design and delivery of hospitals and healing environments. With forces that continually shift and improve healthcare delivery, this scholarship opportunity supports the importance of developing the next generation of architects to create the innovative design and delivery needs of tomorrow’s healthcare facilities. The application deadline is normally in September, please click the link below for more information on the California Foundation website: https://calarchfoundation.org/the-kain-scholarship/